Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Waiting

I'm a procrastinator by nature. Accepting this job seemed to have this ominous sense of finality. Everyone acts like I'm going to vanish in the night or something. So far that hasn't been the case.

I'm (slowly) working on getting my stuff packed. The Texas Conference is supposed to be scheduling one of their truck drivers to move me in the next couple of weeks, but I don't know for sure yet. So I'm in this holding pattern of procrastination. I get a little bit done every now and then, but it doesn't really feel like it's happening yet. The latest word is that it might be most cost-effective for them to just reimburse me for renting a Uhaul for my stuff. Since I have minimal earthly possessions (in spite of what the mountains of boxes in our garage/living room suggests).

If that's what happens my departure might come sooner. If they send a truck for me the earliest we will load up is February 4, almost three months from the time I accepted the job. If we go the Uhaul route I might leave toward the end of next week instead. That would get me to Texas and unloading the truck the first week of February, which was my original target.

I've never really made a move of this magnitude before. Everything seems so uncertain and haphazard. I guess once I find out for sure how I'm moving the other pieces will fall together pretty quickly. In the meantime I'm enjoying the waiting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment