Friday, February 12, 2010

Wrap

Another positive to working in the Adventist system is having Fridays off from work. Ever since I found myself in this schedule I have really appreciated Fridays, especially Friday mornings. It's a chance to sleep in a bit, make myself a mighty breakfast and take the opportunity to indulge my passions. Some Fridays this means finding a quiet coffee shop and a good book. Other weeks it's getting caught up on laundry or household chores. Sometimes it's just watching TV or a movie.

This week was a bit of everything. Pancakes, eggs, hashbrowns and a latte. Vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms. Then I remembered the four inches of snow on the ground. Another Friday activity is the photo mission. When I jump in my car with my camera and search for moments, object, ideas and inspirations. Apparently snow in Texas is kind of a big deal so it seemed appropriate to document it.

It's truly remarkable to see how a society reacts when presented with a "once in 3-4 decades" quantity of snow. The average age descends to approximately 8 for one. I have never seen such a high concentration of snowmen in the Pacific Northwest. The slightest change in elevation is swarmed with cardboard squares, plastic pieces and any object which might facilitate a first-ever sledding experience.

But the image that stood out to me was the one that I didn't expect. Stopping at a Catholic church to get shots of snow-covered oak trees I noticed a small thinking garden with a snow covered statue of Christ.

HP8Q7362.JPG

And that was just my morning! Then it was off to the store. I've been looking for crock pot recipes and in the process also decided to find a recipe for pad thai. That expanded my grocery list to include a potpourri of items I had never purchased, let alone seen in the grocery store, before. But with a little determination I was able to find everything except one elusive asian sauce. However, I did manage to come up with a reasonable substitute.

After an afternoon of unloading bags and an early evening of frantic scuttling around the kitchen I emerged with an enormous mess and a fairly satisfactory first attempt at pad thai. More than I could possibly eat in one sitting, and fairly delicious. With a few tweaks I think I can get it down.

We'll see what happens when I try my hand at spring rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment