Sunday, March 7, 2010

Drizzle and Sizzle

I continue to battle mightily against this pesky cold/throat bug. Hopefully the end is in sight. It's mostly just when I first wake up in the morning. Thursday I came home from work early because I was also kinda feeling feverish, and for some reason the decongestants I took that day didn't seem to do anything. Friday I laid low in the morning, but it was just too nice of a day to stay inside. So after getting groceries I decided to golf. Apparently everyone else in Texas shared my views on the weather because the course was packed. It took almost four hours to play 9 holes, but since twilight golf is 17 dollars I really didn't mind.

On Sabbath I went to Arlington church again. I went to the late (traditional)service. After church I was feeling a bit better so I decided to hit the treadmill. On some of my better running days two miles hasn't seemed like much of a challenge. I get through it at a pretty good pace and by the time I'm done with my cool down I feel like I could just about go for it again. So I decided to try running a 5k. That transfers to just over 3 miles. It was definitely a mental test to push through, and I still wasn't feeling great, but I made to the end without slowing down or stopping the treadmill. I think I averaged just under 8 minute/miles for the run, so that gives me a baseline to work off of. I think I'm going to start alternating between 2 mile and 5k runs.

After that I headed out to explore Burleson some more. Down in an oder section of town I found this historical marker thing with information about Burleson, including this beauty:
Burleson, TX

I also like these older farm/industrial structures:
Burleson, TX
I'm always reminded when I get out of the northwest that much of America is so much older than what I'm used to. It's cool to think about all the history in a given place. I don't really imagine people in other places thinking about the northwest a lot in a historical context. Maybe the Oregon Trail, but that's about it.

I forgot to mention that I had put beans in the crock pot to cook. When I got back I learned two valuable things. No matter how slow it may seem the low setting on the crock pot will probably get things cooked in time, and it is in fact possible to burn something in a slow cooker. Luckily a good portion of the beans were salvageable and I had some pretty decent burritos for dinner.

Today I woke up with minimal throat irritation so I celebrated with a bountiful feast of carbs:
HP8Q7455.JPG

Plenty of rain, and soreness from running, kept golf off the agenda. So after a little house cleaning I decided to go to the Museum of Modern Art in Fort Worth. They currently have an exhibit of Andy Warhol's late work. I wasn't supposed to use cell phones or cameras in the gallery but I did manage to sneak this:
Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Andy was one crazy fellow. They only had a couple of his crazy drip/splatter paintings. I guess those were earlier works. But they did have this massive Last Supper treatment that he did. A huge screen print of the Di Vinci work, and then elements of the scene repurposed in some pop art pieces.

The other exhibits at the museum were pretty interesting as well. For example, a GIANT pile of teal colored hard candies. Somehow that constitutes art I guess. Then there was a collection of silver candlesticks, trays, bowls etc. that had been crushed by an industrial press and were suspended about six inches off the floor by wires. I'm not totally sure what it all means, but it sure was something.

After that I headed to a nearby mall. I was really hoping the rain would let up so I could walk around and take pictures, but it just wasn't happening. So I busied myself in Banana Republic, Pottery Barn and Barnes and Noble.

When I got back to my apartment I felt compelled to run again. I knew I didn't have much gas left in the tank but I decided to go for it. I plodded through and brought my weekend total to seven miles. Two on Friday, Three on Sabbath and Two more today. All solidly under an 8-minute mile. That feels good.

Now it's time for a busy couple of weeks. We are putting together the content for the next issue of our conference magazine. In the midst of that we have conference "Town Hall" meetings in Houston, McAllen and San Antonio. That requires us/me being on site to run power point slideshows for the different conference departments as they present their material. As soon as that's over the next batch of content is due for the union magazine.

Lots of writing, lots of travel, hopefully some photoshoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment