Friday, November 23, 2012

Thank You Lois Lowry

Just finished wiping my eyes and now I'm ready to dive in with a couple more Kindle Reviews.

Gathering Blue is the first sequel to The Giver. At first I was worried that this book was later in the series, because there was no connection with the original storyline. I actually checked a couple times and finally satisfied myself that it must be connected somehow.

The similarities were there. A dystopian society, rigidly structured and organized. A powerful few in charge, maintaining order and keeping the populace in their prescribed place. An emerging preteen protagonist, who senses something is amiss and wonders what else could be possible. Again, color plays an essential role. Again, there is deception and misdirection, an apparent need for change and the visionary youth becomes the catalyst.

It wasn't until I started Messenger that I confirmed these worlds were indeed connected. For Jonas' and Kira's worlds, and indeed many others, have found each other through their castaways and pilgrims. But again the world is changing. A dark trouble is creeping in, threatening to choke out the harmonious and benevolent balance of Village, this new place. Jonas (Leader now, as everyone in Village is simply named by their identified role in society) senses it. Matty, a once rambunctious youth from Kira's place senses it. And even across the vast and darkening expanse of Forest Kira senses it. Can these three find a way to restore order and goodness to a world on the brink?

It's safe to say the Kindle has endeared itself to me. I picked up momentum reading Gathering Blue and seamlessly devoured Messenger in less than a day. Granted they were short reads, but I simply could not put them down. I know there's so much in these stories that is speaking to me, but in a way I'm not fully understanding. It's about maintaining a naive and youthful outlook, unburdening yourself from the weight of possessions, status and honor. Putting others ahead of yourself, knowing and understanding how the world usually works and choosing to a more helpful and nurturing outlook.

There one last chapter to the story, Son.  I should blaze through it this weekend. The stories have been beautiful so far, but somehow... incomplete. I hope this conclusion brings everything together and prepares me to let go of these characters. To accept where their world has arrived and prepared to bring their memory to my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment