Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Afterbuzz TV and the Antisocial Viewer

I spend too much time in the car. My daily commute is somewhere in the 90-minute ballpark and I end up spending another hour or two in the car during the weekend. I also watch a lot of TV. I'm somewhat picky about my shows, so my viewing goes in waves, depending on what shows are in their current seasons.

When it comes to TV I'm pretty private. Probably because I live alone. I watch my shows alone and don't feel compelled to pour over all the details at the watercolor at work or over coffee with my friends. I do, however, enjoy spirited discussion and banter about the shows I watch. And that's where Afterbuzz TV comes in.

My previously mentioned extended commute provides ample time for listening to podcasts. I have a few sports and photography podcasts that I regularly follow, but sometimes I run out of material. That lead me to randomly search the iTunes store for a few of my favorite TV shows. Low and behold, there's actually a few different podcasts for many of the most popular shows. I dabbled in a few and found myself getting hooked on Afterbuzz TV.

Afterbuzz TV features a pool of personalties who divide into various assortments to debrief, dish and speculate on the show of the night. There's frequently some differing opinions, which leads to spirited banter. The hosts take furious notes while viewing and frequently do quick research to provide context and background for events that take place. Each episode usually contains a segment with news and notes about the show production, cast and industry-types. The grand finale comes when the hosts make their predictions for what is going to happen in upcoming episodes or seasons.

Listening to lively discussion about shows I enjoy helps keep my road rage at bay. It also gives me the feeling that I'm watching the same show twice. Once to see the actual events, and an second time to really ponder what they mean. If you have a favorite TV show, chances are you may have a new favorite podcast if you check out Afterbuzz TV.

A couple of my weekly favorites are The Blacklist, Justified, Homeland and Game of Thrones

Facebook 
Twitter
Youtube
iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment