Tuesday, June 22, 2010

-isms

So I keep noticing random things that are different in Texas/the south. Some of them are more obvious, like brand names. Best Foods mayonnaise is called Hellmans, Safeway is called Tom Thumb. Sonic, a fast food joint that's a fringe/niche place at best in the northwest is literally on every corner down here. There's an unreal concentration of fast food in general. Fast food places/Waffle Houses and donut shops are concentrated about as densely as coffee shops/stands/kiosks in downtown Portland.

But it's the more subtle things that catch my attention. Usually when I'm driving, hence why I forget to write them down. Down here road construction is done by "Work Convoys." More interesting, I think many of these convoys are private businesses contracted to maintain certain stretches of the highway.

Life flight is called Care Flight down here. I keep seeing signs advertising to "sign up" for care flight. I'm not sure if that means they won't come and get you unless you have signed up, but it seems like another example of privatizing things we're used to just getting in the northwest. It makes me wonder if the services are better or worse with this system.

In the grocery store brand names aren't the only difference. Maybe the high number of donut shops is to blame but the typical grocery store bakery has a slim selection of donuts. Most stores have Krispy Kreme donuts for sale (I have resisted thus far). Bottled water is called bottle water and I seem to recall seeing both Ketchup and Catsup.

That's all I can think of at the moment, though I'm sure there are more things that are slipping my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment